Cook your onions, ginger, cinnamon sticks and garlic on a low here till translucent, then add (putting up the heat) your cumin, crushed coriander seeds, chili and curry leaves and fry for a good 5 mins, stirring making sure not to burn.
Then add the turmeric, sweet potato, apricot and cook for a further five mins, followed but the tomato, coconut, stock and lentils.
Let that simmer for 45 mins.
Once cooked make up a tarka for the top- adding butter to a pan slowly cook, until golden, garlic, chilli and cumin seeds.
Add this sizzling to the top with fresh coriander leaves.
Very good served with a cucumber and mint raita
- 2 Onions chopped
- 1 inch Ginger, grated
- 7 Garlics, sliced
- 1 tbls Cumin seeds
- 1 tbls Crushed coriander seeds
- 3 whole birds eye chilies
- Small bunch of curry leaves
- Small bunch coriander stalks chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsb turmeric
- Cubed sweet potato, two medium sized
- Handful chopped up dried apricot
- Two tins of tomato
- Two tins of coconut milk
- 200 ml stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 mugs mixture of lentils, eg- black, orange, yellow- nice to have the mixture