This is our take on Mac & Cheese. We both love the classic, but can’t help taking it a bit further… its one of our favourite naughty pasta dishes, really hits the spot on a hang over!!
- Prepare the pasta – bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the pasta. Cook the pasta to the instructions on the packet. Once cooked drain and refresh in cold water
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- While the pasta is cooking prep the béchamel. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat, add the flour and stir over the heat for 30 seconds or so. Remove from heat and very slowly add the milk (Being slow is important for the sauce to stay smooth). Return to heat and add the bay leaves. Continue to stir the sauce until thickens – to check whether it is done you turn the spoon over and drag your finger down the back, if it stays with a finger mark in the middle its ready. Add the mustard, nutmeg and season.
- In a small frying pan fry the pancetta with a little oil, once nice and crispy add the spring onions, chilli, garlic and thyme and saute over a medium heat. After a few minutes add the sherry, reduce and remove from the heat.
- Add the pancetta mixture and the pasta to the béchamel, and season. Pour mixture into an oven proof dish and tear the mozzarella over .
- Place dish in the oven and cook for approx. 8 mins – should be bubbly, crisp and golden on the top.
- Serve straight away with torn coriander over the top. We have it with our jalapeno and coriander sauce (find on our website), homemade harissa and a crunchy salad – but its equally good eaten all on its own.
- 5 rashes smoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 large smoked garlic cloves, finely chopped (if not normal garlic fine)
- bunch of thyme, leaves taken off the stalk and chopped
- 1 spicy red chilli
- dash of dry sherry
- 250g macaroni pasta
- 40g butter
- 20g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 heaped tsp dijon mustard
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 250g smoked cheese, grated
- 100g buffalo mozzarella
- olive oil
- small bunch coriander
- salt and pepper